2235 California, #235
Mountain View, CA 94040
650 961 0945
Operating Systems: Unix (BSD, Solaris, OSF1/Tru64/Digital), Linux
Languages: Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, HTML, sh/ksh/bash, csh/tcsh, C, SQL, awk
Applications: Atria Clearcase, Apache, Big Brother, MySQL, procmail, svn, trac
Protocols: CGI, HTTP, NNTP, SMTP, TCP/IP
NetDeposit, Salt Lake City, UT -- Contracting through
Triware Networld Systems
Consultant (September 2009)
- Installed Big Brother monitoring system and LARRD graphing extension
on servers and clients in multiple environments.
- Reverse-engineered and duplicated old Nagios configuration in new system.
VMWare, Palo Alto, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Technical Consultant (July to September 2008)
- Documented internal processes for using the OTRS trouble ticketing
- Automated internal request processes to specifications with a PHP web form.
- Rewrote custom internal report processing application in perl with Excel
Responsys, San Bruno, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Technical Consultant (January to June 2008)
- Automated common system administration tasks with Ruby scripts.
- Centralized notification and automated on-call rotation and escalation from multiple legacy monitoring systems using Ruby scripts.
Google, Mountain View, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Technical Support Engineer (August 2005 to August 2006, March to
- Supported Google's search appliance products via phone and email.
- Diagnosed errors in the application software, Linux OS, hardware
platform, and networking.
- Communicated fixes to customers or implemented them remotely.
- Gathered information for engineering team for issues with no known fix.
- Contributed to knowledge bases for both customer and internal use.
PalmSource, Sunnyvale, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Technical Consultant (October 2006 to March 2007)
- Modified the Trac open-source trouble ticketing system (written in
Python) to reproduce in-house customizations to a previous version.
nVidia, Santa Clara, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Technical Consultant (September to October 2006)
- Automated an email notification system using Exchange and WebDAV.
Google, Mountain View, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Systems Administrator/Scripter (February to June 2005)
- Wrote and maintained numerous scripts in Python and shell to automate
system monitoring and other administration tasks to specification.
- Created a PHP-based web application to display data from an LDAP
KeepMedia Inc, Redwood Shores, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Scripter (December 2004 to January 2005)
- Maintained and upgraded Big Brother installations, including LARRD,
bbgen, and bb-central add-ons.
- Wrote a variety of scripts in shell and perl to automate code
releases, service control, and other existing operations tasks.
Corio Inc, San Carlos, CA -- Contracting through Taos
Perl Scripter (June to August 2004)
- Wrote, tested, and documented a script to automate a database
replication process involving several third-party applications and other
AltaVista, Palo Alto, CA
Senior Operations Software Engineer (March 2000 to January 2004)
- Part of team administering 1000+ unix servers in a heterogenous
environment (OSF/1, Linux, and Solaris), responsible for tool development
and maintenance using perl, sh/ksh/bash, SQL, and CGI, and documentation
for use by team and others.
Firstworld Comm., San Francisco, CA -- contracting through Taos Mountain
Web Developer/Perl Scripter (January 1999 to March 2000)
- Wrote and maintained tools for ISP customer management, using perl,
CGI, and MySQL.
Filemaker Inc, Santa Clara, CA -- contracting through Taos Mountain
Webmaster (September 1998 to January 1999)
- Maintained corporate website serving 200,000 hits per day with Netscape
Commerce Server running on Sun server
- Wrote CGI scripts to handle product registration, user signup, etc.
from the web site
- Collected statistics on web site usage to plan expansion
- Wrote tools in perl to assist in complete redesign of web site.
Internet Shopping Network, Sunnyvale, CA -- contracting through Taos Mountain
Systems Administrator (May to August 1998)
- Wrote tools in perl and sh to monitor ecommerce web site.
Frontier GlobalCenter, Sunnyvale, CA -- contracting through Taos Mountain
Network Technician (December 1997 to May 1998)
- Monitored and troubleshot daily operational issues of a nation-wide
network of DS3 circuits and Cisco routers, and performed physical
maintenance of customer machines running a wide variety of operating
QuickTurn Design Systems -- contracting through Taos Mountain
Systems Administrator (October to November 1997)
- Part of team that moved ~300 workstations and servers to new facility;
duties included server room setup, network hardware configuration,
workstation and server takedown and setup, and post-move
troubleshooting and support
Synopsys, Mountain View, CA -- contracting through Taos Mountain
Release Engineer (February to September 1997)
- Coordinated merges, builds, and testing of chip design libraries in a
complicated build environment, including writing and maintaining tools in
perl and sh to automate builds and build management, and supported
engineers using Atria Clearcase.
Netscape Communications Corporation, Mountain View, CA
Support Engineer (April 1995 to January 1997)
- Supported customers of Netscape's Internet-oriented server products
(various HTTP servers, proxy server, mail server, news server, LiveWire)
on Windows NT and a wide variety of Unices, including providing
examples, debugging tools, and technical notes.
Available upon request.